Wine Industry Legislation
This page is still under development.
- What does the Wine of Origin Label (bus ticket) mean?
- The wine of origin label guarantees that claims made on the label relating
to origin, vintage, and/or cultivar are certifiably true.
- Origin (Blue Band)
- certifies that 100% of the wine derives from the indicated
Region, District or Ward.
- Vintage (Red Band)
- certifies that at least 75% of the wine is made from grapes
harvested in the indicated year.
- Cultivar (Green Band)
- certifies that the wine contains the required legal minimum
percentage of the cultivar claimed and is characteristic of that cultivar in
appearance, smell and taste.
- certifies that the wine is made on the estate claimed and
from grapes grown on that estate. The wine may have been bottled elsewhere.
- as from March 1982 wines certified as Wine of Origin
Superior (WOS) by the Wine and Spirit Board have been given a gold backed seal.
- The vertical number on the bus ticket
- an official identification number.
- This legislation is no longer valid and the bus tickets
have changed. Hopefully details will be supplied soon.