Memories of Live Aid

These are some memories of Live Aid, submitted by people around the world. If you'd like me to add yours, send me mail (to A page of older memories is here.

From: Paul Carver

I do remember the teddy bear.  I am glad someone else posted about
it too.  It was one of the memories I will never forget.  We were in the
very last row at the top left and we were able to watch it happen from up
above.   By the time Queen and David Bowie played we made it down close to
the stage to the left side.  As David Bowie was playing I was holding up 2
beers to salute him and as he walked over to his right (the left side of
the stage) he caught my eye and we had about 6 or 7 seconds of eye contact
as he continued to sing.  Wow!!!!!  Incredible day!

From: Dave V.
In the summer of 1985, I was working for Makoul Productions in 
Harrisburg Pennsylvania as a local roadie for all the big 
concerts that came into town. A lot of the workers were from 
Electric Factory Productions in Philadelphia. After finishing 
a concert in late June, we were told by the Electric Factory 
guys that there is gonna be a big concert to support the 
"feed the world" thing and they needed help. They told us 
to be prepared to stay there at least a couple of weeks. 
So....myself and two friends signed up. 

Things got crazy right from the beginning! We left at 4am,
so we could be there by 7am. Right before the last exit on 
the turnpike, a tractor trailer had jack knifed and was 
spread the whole way across the road, blocking it! To make 
matters worse, it was hauling cows and the cows all got out 
through the smashed truck and were running up the turnpike 
inbetween all the cars! One cow was hurt very badly and we 
watched a police officer pull out his gun and shoot it to 
put it out of its misery. Couldn't believe our eyes! 
Anyway....after 2 hours of waiting....then getting lost in 
Philly...we got there a hour late.

The first day was spent putting together scaffolding around 
the front end of the stadium and tying off 4x8 planks of 
wood to them then spray painting them black. This was the 
barrier around the open parts of the stadium as you can 
see if you look at a bird's eye point of view.

They already had a couple of empty trailers in what would 
become the backstage area so that's where we slept. We woke 
up the next morning, hungover as hell and covered in ants 
that could bite.

The 2nd day is when Mountain Productions showed up. This 
is the production company that....still to this day supplies 
all the steel and builds the stage, house area for the sound 
boards, lighting towers, etc....the building of what would 
become up to that point, the largest stage ever built for one 
day,...took over a week. And let me tell was hairy! 
Waking up hungover every morning to climb up a steel pole, 
with NOTHING to secure you in case you slip. Guys underneath 
you and above you..passing up steel pole in a human chain. 
Kind of like a huge, giant erector set! I always had a problem 
with heights and couldn't get myself to climb higher than 30-40 
feet or so (the highest went to 85-90 feet), so I designated 
myself "ground crew", even though people would make fun of you. 
I didn't care, I wasn't climbing any higher! FUCK THAT! 

And I will tell you this...I have never done as much cocaine 
in my life, I had in the 2-3 weeks I was there! I don't care
what ANYONE says,....EVERYONE was doing it! Every 3- 4 days, 
they would cut us a check and for some reason, I became the guy 
who would go to the bank where the payroll was set up and cash 
most of the guys' checks for them.A nd when I got back, 1st I 
handed the money to them...then you handed some of your money 
to the coke dealers. Only time in my life I stayed up for 3 
consecutive days! Lots of good Pot,too! one day my friend Russell, 
took a hit of acid called "gonniebird". He actually climbed 
and built towers while he was tripping!

They had a huge food tent in the back stage area and gave you 
a food pass which you were supposed to get stamped every 
breakfast, lunch and dinner.But no one ever looked and you 
could pretty much have what ever you wanted, 24/7.

On the 4th of July, they gave us the day off and a whole bunch 
of us took a train to the Art Museum to watch a free concert 
by the Beach Boys! Jimmy Page made a guest appearance that day, 
with them! Oh yea...and Mr. T. 

A couple days before the became very hectic and 
interesting! You would see the likes of..Bill Graham...MTV vee jays, 
and various celebrities stopping by to check it out! One night I 
stood there having a conversation with Paul Shaeffer! 

By this time...they were using all the trailers backstage so 
we met a co-worker who let us crash at his place. Basically 
snorted a lot of coke and didn't sleep much. 

The day before the show was CRAZY! They had built a Hard Rock 
Cafe backstage! 1985- couldn't believe a hamburger was FIVE 

The parking lot had become full of fans and they went out and 
hired a bunch of guys to work and their pay was to see the 
concert for free.It was awesome because they gave me 3 guys to 
finish all the shit i didn't finish (some spray painting and 
moving stuff around). They were happy as hell to be there so 
I made them do everything while I acted like the supervisor.

We heard they would be doing some soundchecks but we didn't know who. 
First...The Hooters came up and checked. Then The Cars sound checked. 
Watched them play the song "Drive" twice! Then....right before my very 
eyes...Mick Jagger walks by! Hall and Oats band set up and Mick and 
Tina Turner were there to rehearse with them. We actually watched 
from the side of the stage as Mick suggested.."Lets do...It's only 
Rock n Roll". And they did!

Here is where MY night got ugly! After we were done for the evening, 
we ate dinner and went out to hang out, party, meet the crowd. We 
met a couple of guys and hung out with them all evening. Around 
2 am, the one guy asks me if he can borrow my backstage pass to 
go check it out. Sure,I say...No Problem...HUGE FUCKIN MISTAKE!!! 
Ya think I ever saw him again? Bastard stole my pass! By 5-6 am 
when everyone was arriving,I was sitting at one of the backstage 
entrances,up all night,hungover with no pass to get in! No one 
cared! In fact...whenever I saw one of the people in charge, 
they wouldn't help me because they thought I sold my pass! 
Now...I wish I would have! But a guy who worked for Electric 
Factory by the name of Dave Reuss....brought me another pass! 
He led me to stage right,...far right..and told me this would be 
my home for the day. As kind of security and to make sure there 
was plenty of water for the stage area. No WAY was I sitting 
there all day where I couldn't see the concert. I left to go get 
breakfast, then went to go find some friends who were attending the 
show. As I was leaving....a co-worker asked if he could use my pass 
to sneak his girlfriend in. No way was I risking a 2nd pass...until 
he offered me a gram of coke for the favor. No Problem! Now...If I 
could go back in time..I would have just hungout backstage the whole 
time because I blew the chance of a lifetime. But at the time...I 
was so burnt out and my immature attitude made me say to myself...
"fuck it! I Set up been here for 2 and a half weeks...I'm gonna 
watch the show with my friends and go home." I had already gotten 
paid for everything up to that point. Had Hundreds of dollars on me,
Pot,Coke and booze. I found my friends (we originally set up a place 
and time), and through out the day..let them take turns using my pass 
while i kicked back and partied and watched the best show I have ever 
seen in my life!!! 

After the show was over...I went and found my other friends who 
came down to work with me and told them I needed to sleep and was 
leaving in the morning. To this day I still can't a 
parking lot..with thousands of people walking by...I fell asleep on 
the hood of my car...hundreds of dollars,cocaine and pot in my 
pockets...and woke up at sunrise untouched! I found my friends and 
before we left....there was a Molson Beer truck sitting there wide 
open. We and many others formed a human chain and cleared it out --
I must have taken home 10 cases of beer! 

Believe it or not...I tried to make this short! I have plenty of 
other stuff I remember, too! Came home with a lot of stuff...
autographs, passes, set lists....etc....and also some of the best 
rock n roll memories I ever had! 

Dave V. :)

From: Sue MacLeod
Hi y'all,
Am just about to sit down with my kids (13 and 9) to watch the live aid 
highlights on VH1. I feel like an old granny when I say to my kids 'I was 
there, all those years ago!'

I was living in London at the time and had got married that year in June. 
Arrived back from honeymoon and wondered what this 'live aid' thing was 
all about. Got offered two tickets from a dodgy source, bought them and 
then there we were, me and my husband.

Fabulous day, not a single down point. Everyone was great. Status Quo 
were a perfect start with 'rocking all over the world'.The atmosphere was 
one of positivity and harmony in spite of the dreadful circunstances 
that had brought us all together.

Can't believe that at the time there had been nothing like it at all 
ever. Went to the Nelson Mandela birthday bash thing the next year but 
it just wasn't the same. 

Bowie was of course on fabulous form as usual. Does anyone remember the 
medley that the BBC put together of the highlights set to 'Heroes'? 

Arrived home in time to see the end of Philadelphia. Can't help feeling 
that London was better!

From: Bill Chatsick

My name is Bill Chatsick, I live in Toronto ,Ontario,Canada. I am so 
happy that live aid has been put onto dvd. I was 23 when it took place 
as I sat in my livingroom for many hours waiting for the Plant & Page 
reunion for many many hours I was so disaponited to see Dick Clark stick 
his face in front of the performance. I flipped out and almost broke into 
tears I was waiting for the dvd to be released once I got wind of it and 
got it the minute it came out to find out there is still no Plant & Page ? 
Im once again very upset however I found a website explaining why  and I somewhat 
understand now? Still sadley missed but I have a wonderful 4 dvd set to 
bring me back to a time when the world stood still. Thats my story if 
anyone can tell me where I can get the Plant footage please email me.. Thank you all and enjoy the Live Aid Miracle.

From: Victoria Ryan

Hi there,

I was too young to remember the Live Aid concert, but do have rather 
a big connection to it.

My grandfather was personally called by Bob Geldof to paint the world - 
on a plate, and the knife and fork on the funnel of the ships, on the 
lorries and whatever other transport was used in live aid.

My grandfather is in the footage of the concert, i think it is somewhere 
at the beginning, it shows a man hanging on the side of the funnel of 
one of the ships painting the live aid logo on it -  that is my grandfather!

i have been on alot of the Live Aid sites and many of them include thanks 
to people that were involved in Live Aid, not one of them mention the 
hard work that went into the art and hard work from the people that done 
the painting of the world on the plate and the knife and fork - mainly 
my grandfather.

For quite some time now i have been trying to obtain a copy of the full 
16 hour(approx) concert on video or DVD. My family have had no luck and 
neither have i, we have been trying for about 4 years now. 

>From what my grandfather has told me, he was very very honoured to 
involved in such an honourable cause and it was worth all the hard work 
that was put into organising such a massive concert in aid of men, woman 
and children that are dying and that live in such bad conditions.

This is just to say that i would like to mention my grandfather - Mr 
Albert (buck) Yendall that helped with Live Aid. My grandfather was, 
and still is a very very talented artist and sign writer, one of few 
people in the UK that was licensed to sign write with 24ct gold leaf.
He painted the Cutty Sark that now sits in Greenwich London, and the 
Belfast boat also.

From: M

I was 21, and in London ( from the USA ) attending a summer college 
program there. I was hanging at a West End club alot, The Wag Club, and 
got to know the owner at the time, and some of the regulars that 
frequented the place. Anyway, I met a tennis player, name withheld, and 
he had two tickets, and asked me to join him.

It was great. We had a blanket on the field, amongst all the Brits. They 
were very friendly, and interesting. It was a great experience.

I was really into photography at the time, and had a few cameras with me 
for the concert. I had a long, professional looking lens as well, and I 
captured some great images from the day.

A funny story, something in today's world probably would never happen, 
given the security at an event like this. I went inside the stadium for 
a little break, and walked around a bit, only to uncover a small 
elevator that seemed to be something important. There was a crowd 
gathered around it, and I thought I could see music oriented people 
coming and going on the elevator. Anyway, I pushed near the front of 
crowd, and as the elevator was opening up and people were being allowed 
on, they let me come aboard, apparently thinking I was press of some 
kind. Anyway, the elevator took me to a VIP area, with gourmet food, and 
I was hanging with several music stars of the time, including Sade, 
Spandau Ballet, and some others. What a time.

From: Eileen Pucci

Several of my memories of Live Aid have nothing to do with the great 
rock and roll.  I arrived with my friend at the stadium bright and early 
but my friend still wanted to sit at the far end of the stage under the 
roof.  She didn't want to get caught in the crush out on the field.  We 
were faaar away from the action sitting on concrete bleachers.  I remember 
that it was a very hot and sunny day and people were fainting and being 
removed from the field pretty regularly! I also remember being amazed at 
how everyone filed into and out of the stadium in such a polite and orderly 
way.  I remember thinking that there was probably a lot more pushing and 
shoving going on in Philadelphia.  Finally, I remember how great it was when
everyone was exiting the stadium after the concert that the entire crowd 
was chanting "Feed the world, Let them know it's Christmas time".  Londoners 
for miles around must have heard it.

From: Steve Addison

Had to have my say on the Live Aid concert, much of which I can still recall 
vividly to this day.
Who else could have started it but Status Quo with Rocking All Over the 
World - perfect!
Amongst the many performances I thoroughly enjoyed were: Elton John, Paul 
McCartney, David Bowie & Mick Jagger, the Boomtown Rats, Paul Young, Madonna 
and Lisa Stansfield.  However, two groups stand out for completely different 
reasons, U2 and Queen.  U2 because I thought they were crap and grossly 
overrated and did not appear to know what to do with such a large crowd.  Queen 
were simply magnificent.  Freddie Mercury had the crowd in the palm of his 
hand and the music was perfect.  In my opinion Freddie was the greatest showman 
ever!  The king is dead - long live the king!

From: Karen Carrington

I was working for British Airways on the day of the Live Aid Concert and I 
was very pleased to be chosen to handle the Concorde Departure to 
Philadelphia which Phil Collins was booked on.We had to make a long 
announcement to the passengers (who included Cher) to ask them to make their 
way from the usual Concorde Lounge at London Heathrow Airport to a lounge at 
the end of the pier where the aircraft was parked.The reason for this was 
explained to them because Phil was arriving by helicopter (flown by Noel 
Edmonds) and only had a few minutes to get off the helicopter and onto the 
Concorde. Everyone was really good and made there way to the aircraft as 
quickly as possible and up to then I seemed very cool and composed but as 
soon as I saw Phil at the bottom of the steps I lost my composure and asked 
for his autograph! My family did have a videotape of the whole concert and 
there I was for a few seconds diving forward to ask for that 
autograph..but..disaster..would you believe that someone wiped that bit off 
the tape (I suspect it was one of my brothers who were a bit green with envy 
I think). So my moment of fame is lost forever but at least we still have a 
good few hours of the concert left to relive those happy memories and I 
still have that precious autograph!

From: Justin

My name is Justin. I was 5yrs old when I first saw this, yeah 80s rule. 
The funny thing about it, my dad was just watching it a couple days ago. 
Yeah we have the entire concert on video, hard to believe. Im glad my dad 
recorded it, in fact, we have like over 200 tapes of recorded movies and 
junk. Anyways the concert was and still is a blast to watch. I can't believe 
so many people were crammed into that stadium, how in the heck could anyone 
go to the bathroom!? Yeah its a bummer that they didn't redistribute this 
concert through video or dvd cause it rules. Man I could make so much dinero 
reselling this video, naw maybe not! I love the 80s! thanks for the memories.

From: Andrew Murphy

I had just turned 12 years old and was excited that U2 were going to be 
playing. I thought "The Unforgettable Fire" was the the best record I had 
ever purchased with my own money.
I was so adament about not missing the event I convinced my parents to 
subscribe to Muchmusic here in Canada. I told them it was the only station 
carrying the concert. I was at home with my older brother and sister. My brother 
didn't care much for who was playing (he was more of a Rush fan) and my sister 
wanted to see The Who. They had played what should have been their very last 
concert here in Toronto in December 1982, another welll known satellite 
broadcast dubbed "The Who Rocks America!" which I found odd as the concert 
was in Canada. What a joke!.
Basically I watched the entire thing from start to finish (aside from when 
we stepped out to get groceries). The supermarket even had it on the radio. 
Madonna was siging at that point. God I hated her back then. I do admit she's 
a shrewd business woman though. I thought it was stupid she was even on the 
bill. Ok, I was only 12! I realize in retrospect why she was there. 
At that point in the day though, I didn't care. U2 had already came on and 
took the entire show and made themselves superstars on that day. I was quite 
happy about not missing it. 
Going through the day's programe really brought back some vivid memories. I 
remember waking up early and turning the TV on and thinking "who the hell 
is Status Quo?" 
They actually were used as my own guinea pigs when I started to tape their 
set but then went back and checked it out to see if it was recording ok. Our 
VCR had a plug in remote control. So primitive back then. I then started 
taping when "The Style Council" came on. So far so good. U2 were coming!
I remember the early part of the Wembley show vivdly. Strangly I don't recall 
much of the JFK concert which I think Muchmusic began with Bryan Adams. I 
think there was sound trouble?  I think Muchmusic focused mainly on the Wembley 
show which was good. Yes that's it I remember leap frogging from Muchmusic and 
the American network.That's why I don't remember much about the JFK concert as 
I was watching the Wembley show live. 
So at 17:20 pm in England when U2 were just taking the stage, CSN and Y (?) were 
just finishing their set at JFK. 
No need to mention how U2 played the best live performance I have ever seen. I 
was a U2 fan for life after seeing them. They simply came out and proved that 
they were the best rock band around. 2 years later the "Joshua Tree" came out. 
Dire Straits and Sting were good I thought. Queen rocked. I heard that they 
received the most money in donations during their set. Don't know how true that is. 

I also remember reading that Bowie/Jagger originally wanted to perform together at 
the same time with one in Philadelphia and the other in London. Logistics 
prevented that from happening. I thought Bowie's set was ok. 
I thought the Who sucked from what I saw. When the transmission was lost I thought
it was bound to happen. All of this was new to me but I knew enough that this was 
a very important technical event as well as a historical one as well. 
I saw the Simple Minds set at JFK. They were just starting the break out in America 
with "Don't You Forget About Me". The finale at Wembley was great. Sometime after 
this is when we went shopping. It was very hot in Toronto that day. I remember coming 
back home and Tom Petty was on and not being too impressed with the line up. 
From watching my tape I have a noticed that Anton Fig, drummer from the Letterman 
band used to play with the Thompson Twins. At least it looks like him. Clapton 
was good. 
However, there are those who might want my head for this comment but I thought Led 
Zeppelin was the worst! I mean I know it was the first time they had played together 
in 5 years but wasn't that the worst version of "Whole Lotta Love" you've ever 
heard? It was so out of tune and disorganized. But I bet the fans who were there 
didn't care. 
So there's my run down of Live Aid July 13th, 1985. I'll be 30 very soon and this 
brings back found memories of a time in my life where I didn't have a worry in the 
world. My how times have changed.
Aside from not missing U2! 
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

From: Micah Evans

I was 18. It was a Saturday morning, and I was baby sitting my little
cousin who was 7 months old at the time. I had been anticipating MTV showing
Live Aid all week. I stayed at home all day, and all night until it ended. I
have pictures of me playing with my little cousin, and Live Aid on tv in the
background. I wish they would put  Live Aid on a double dvd  set....
Why havent they? [Editor's note: Micah sent this in before the release of the
DVD set]

From: Kevin P. Kenna

I remember Live Aid vividly. I am a Philadelphian proud that our city won 
the prize as the USA city of Live Aid. I remember I bought two tickets from 
a ticket agent for $35 for myself and my girlfriend at the time Connie.I 
could have bought as many as possible. I knew that this show was going to be 
the biggest musical event of a lifetime. Bigger than Woodstock. We arrived at 
around noontime. The show started in the morning and we listened ,on the 
radio , to it all the way down I-95 to JFK stadium. I remember we only went to 
the bathroom once during the show. It was horrendous, it had to rival 
conditions in Ethiopia. But the bands were fantastic. 

Never again will we see the likes of that again. God Bless JFK Stadium (RIP) 

From: Elissa O.

I did not attend Live Aid, but remember seeing much of it on TV...I was
25 at the time...seems a while ago :0.

Anyway, the bulk of the show was on regular TV in the US, however, the
really "Big" stars (McCartney and that ilk) were not shown live but
rather grouped together in a Prime Time presentation.  I thought it was
a shame not to present the show as it was performed, but, the dollar won
out, I guess.
I have a tape of the show that I taped off TV at the time it was
presented.  From time to time I watch it and it brings back great
memories, despite Paul McCartney's mike dying in the beginning of Let It
Be.  It may interest your readers to know that JFK stadium in Philly
(the USA venue) is, alas, no more, as it was torn down a few years
back.  Too bad.

From: Bob Wolff

The greatest music festival I ever attended.  I was fortunate to have tickets
for the Philadelphia concert at JFK Stadium.  It was probably the most
oppresively hot day I ever  witnessed for a concert.  It was a real strggle
to cope with the 90+ heat and humidity, plus the concession stands ran out of
drinks.  However, they did give out ice.

Once, the sun went down, the show was magical.  With the reunion of Led
Zeppelin, Mick Jagger, Hall & Oates, Phil Collins via the Concorde and so
many others, it was one of those events you never forget.  

Long Live Rock!

From: Kevin Bothwell

What a day this was!  I was 21 and living in the city while attending
college.  At the time I playing in a local band myself and my drummer
and I went first thing in the morning to catch our local favorite, The
Hooters.  We found ourselves a spot on the grass very close to the stage
and just in front of the MTV station.  (We later watched tapes of MTV's
broadcast and to our surprise saw brief shots of ourselves.)  Very early
in the day we befriended a young reporter from The Wall Street Journal
of all things, who was plastered with backstage passes for access to
various areas.  My buddy Russ talked him into giving us one and we took
turns going back.  Later in the day we talked an executive, who was
leaving with his young family and had other passes, into giving us
another.  Long story short, we had the time of our lives hanging with
Judas Priest in the Hardrock Cafe they set up under tent, and meeting
dozens of other performers in the dressing room areas.  We walked around
with confidence, like we belonged there, and no one stopped us from
going into any of the areas!  (Being in a band ourselves we looked the
part.  We even had a local reporter stop us for an interview but we were
honest in saying that we were just guests.)  I still have the shirt I
was wearing that day and it is covered with autographs.  We finished the
day standing behind the stage where they had 2 white Pontiac Trans Ams
(I think) that all the performer had signed.  At the close of the finale
they wisked Mick Jagger into a van that I was standing next to.  My only
regret - that we didn't walk up onstage during the finale.  There was no
one there to stop us.  My buddy and I still celebrate the anniversary of
that day every year.  It was one of those "glory days" that we'll always
look back on with much excitement.

From: Sharpoo2

The most striking thing about Live Aid seems to be the sheer innocence
that is represented by the very idea of the concert ,what it stood for and
how it was accomplished.  18 at the time ,I remember a sense of brotherhood
and a closeness between the bands and my own feeling of belonging to a
generation of people that were going to change things in the world. Ah , the
innocence of youth, tis' a beautifull thing. I'm not saying that I've given
up this important dream of a new age dawning but it undermines my feeling
that the concert that took place a mere 12 years ago was something so special
that anything simialer taking place today seems like an impossability. The
whole flavor of todays music has lost its sense of hope. It feels confused
and hard edged. Why even U2 who brought such a striking vibe into that
stadium transforming all who watched and achieving a holy presence have
transformed themselves into anti-heroes unwilling or unable to take up that
task anymore. What gives?  Maybe todays' music is representative of our
society,  spinning so out of control with technology racing ahead of our
antiquated systems (Govt, etc.). So where do we go from here? I dont know but
I'll see you there, believing as I always will in our future as a United
Planet (thank you Phil) and our need to simply help a matter
how out of  fashion it may seem.

From: Ken Schretlen

I found this site in search for a VW Passat!! (guess VW fits in well
with the whole Live Aid bit). Anyway, I was 21 at the time and a friend
of mine (who I had met just 2 nights before the concert) came over the
night before and offered up a ticket. SURE I'LL GO! We left around 2 am
for the hour & half trip to philly, got a room (for all 6 of us, but god
knows why!) napped for all of 2 hours and drove over to park ~ 6am. 

The concert was the greatest show I have ever been to or will ever be at
I'm sure (sure beats those summer jams held at JFK!). Some of the
performances I remember were Phil Collins doing both gigs, the Stones,
Tina Turner (who couldn't forget her) and of course Jammin' George
Thurogood- I had managed to work my way to about 4 rows(?) back from
center stage for the bulk of their works.

Lot's of great music, loaded people and we had the greatest time ever at
concert. I still have my t-shirt!

From: Todd Anderson

I was going through some my tape collection last night and found my
audio tapes of most of the show.  I was 18 at the time and spent that
entire day taping at my folks house.  Looking back, it's amazing that
the large number of artists were able to get together for such a worthy
cause.  It's interesting to listen to the radio hosts who discussed
rumors of a possible Beatles reunion with Paul, Ringo and George and
that Bruce Springsteen was going to make a surprise appearance.  

I can't believe it's been over 12 years.  I wonder how much of an effect
Live Aid actually had on defeating world hunger.

From: Sravani Ghosh-Robinson

Four or five days before the big concert I was a college student
driving through Philadelphia, on the way to Avalon, NJ (a friend had a
place at the shore that summer), when I heard on the radio that more
Live Aid tickets had just gone on sale at the Mann Music Centre.  I
rushed over there and bought two tickets, and was promptly put in a
state of ecstacy.  Ironically, I had a difficult time unloading the
second ticket - due to the lack of notice most of my friends had other
plans for that Saturday.

   Just as everyone else has said, the event was an ineffable
experience; I must have had goosebumps from the time I turned on the
radio on the drive from Bethlehem PA to Philadelphia (the British
concert had already started and was being broadcast)until the last
strains of the admittedly hoaky We are the World finale at the end of
the American concert.

   Everybody at the concert was really cool.  I had seen the Stones and
Who perform (separately) at JFK a few years prior, and there always
seemed to be some tension due to restlessness (both groups had two or
three opening acts).  However, this tension was missing from Live Aid -
it was like everybody agreed to take it easy and lighten up as it was
going to be a long show on a hot day, and it was for a good cause. 
People shared water and binoculars freely.

   One lasting impression was (for me, anyway), the superiority of the
British concert; in fact, I remember more of it (it was simulcast on
video screens) than the American groups in front of me!  I am, and have
been, a fan of British groups; and seeing the likes of the Style Council
(but would have loved a Jam reunion), Elvis Costello, David Bowie, U2 et
al was more satisfying to me than seeing their counterparts in
Philadelphia.  This is not to criticize the Brits for stacking the deck;
I merely like more British groups than American ones; in any event, they
were the ones (although isn't Bob Geldolf Irish?)  who came up with the
idea to raise money for Ethiopia.

   12 years on, I joke the Live Aid was the peak of my life and things
have been downhill since.  I now listen to jazz more than anything, but
Live Aid is the avatar of the 1980's, which in itself was a great
decade.  we evolved from horrific fashions to stuff that can still pass
muster on occasion; from lame California-style music to offshoots of
punk, and from being yelled at by mom and dad to living on our own.

From: Jez

I remember Live -Aid very well! I was going in to my first year of high
school and remember that i stayed in the house the whole day watching
and taping it on the television on channel 5. I also remember driving my
parents crazy because i was constantly on the phone with my friends
talking about who was on and how there performance was. We were heavily
in to Duran Duran, Powerstation, Queen, Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw,
Boomtown Rats, etc.... I will always remember that day for the rest of
my life! I Actually found the book that coincide with the concert. It
has pictures of every one who was involved with the concert, it is the
only known  book in existence and i found the only copy. I lost my copy
of the concert and when the tenth anniversary of Live Aid was shown on
VH1 I taped it. To me it seem only like yesterday, i still can not
believe that it has been ten years since the concert and they showed
what Ethopia looks like now compared to then, wow what a difference> I
am not putting down USA for Africa either but in my opinion I think that
Band-Aid and Live Aid was a big contribution to what Ethopia looks like
now. I also think that USA for Africa was a great too. I have something
wonderful that I could share with my children and grandchildren and tell
them that group of people got together to help a nation that was dying
and with the help of us we made a once dying Country rich and fruitful
and bountiful!

From: Lisa Coffman

Wow. I can't sleep and I'm surfing the net and happened upon your page.
Great job.  I remember watching Live AID on a beautiful July summer day
with my mother and 13 year old brother.  I was 15 at the time and while
most of my friends were interested in seeing Run D.M.C, Madonna or Hall
& Oates.  I couldn't wait to see my favorite group, The Style Council. 
Paul, Steve, Mick and Dee were incredible.  To a young American teenager
they represented everything "cool" about the UK.  Four young
people..spreading the good news..words about harmony and unity to a kiss
ass groove that you could dance to.  They were brilliant.

From: Rasha Kowalewski

I was 16 and living in Heidelberg, Germany (my parents worked for the
U.S. Government).  I don't remember who broadcasted the performances
that I saw - it was probably a German station...  I taped a bit of the
show, including Madonna's performance which I watched over and over.
That's the year I became a "True Blue" Madonna fan.  Dire Straits and
Sting were incredible!

From: Josephine

Your Live Aid Web Page brings back a lot of very fond memories for me.
I was at Gazzari's (Now Billboard Live) on a Friday night, waitng to see a
friends band, and before their set began, the club broadcasts MTV on a 
projection tv screen, and I remember MTV starting the Australian feed of 
the Live Aid broadcast around 11pm Pacific Standard Time, which I presume 
is like tommorow in Melbourne.  Anyway, I remember INXS was doing their set,  
and recall  wanting to watch the Live Aid performance instead of my friends
band, they shut off the tv screen when the bands start their set, I was 
bummed, but it got me into the mood for an incredible once in a lifetime 
experience.  I was in London in February '85 when Phil Collins was
kicking off the UK portion of his "No Jacket Required" world tour, so
needless to say, I was looking forward to his transatlantic record breaking 
performances, I recorded both the MTV and Westwood One feeds of his sets, 
and remain to be some of my most cherished items.

What an incredible show! Queen's performance was for me mind blowing, and
blew me away, Duran Duran's set was probably the last time they performed 
with ALL original members, Bowie was absolutely amazing! U2, inspiring, 
and the list goes on and on. I recorded MTV's press confrence, announcing 
the show, and it was attended by Geldof, Bill Graham, and other
big shot concert promoters, I have the edition of USA Today with the front
page headlines "Live Aid's Global Jukebox" in my scrapbook.

Thanks for the memories! 

From: Bill Stahl, Jr.

     I was one of the security guards at Live Aid. Here's how it

     I was stationed on the USS Lexington and we were in Philly for
repairs. Through word of mouth, we found out they were hiring additional
security and were hiring Navy people. We went and applied and were
hired. The day of Live Aid, a couple of us had to work late and we
finished work at about noon. I almost decided not to go but I'm
extremely lucky a friend changed my mind!!

     When we arrived, the security chief was trying to decide if he
could use us or not. Then my friend saw a friend of his that had been
working security backstage at the concert since the night before. We
followed him and I was lucky enough to be assigned to the right entrance
to the stage.

     I have so many memories of that day. I remember being given all the
pizza I wanted. Some of the people who entered the stage at my

Ozzy Osborne
Jimmy Page and Robert Plant... Jimmy Page tripped on the stairs and
Robert PLant had to help him up the rest of the way
Cher........................................She was beautiful
Marilyn McCoo
Chevy Chase
Many others.

     I remember refusing to let one man onstage because he didn't have a
pass. Then I looked at his cap and it said Four Tops/Temptations. Then I
realized he was one of the Four Tops. I was a little embarrassed. I must
admit I took 2 bribes that day, one from a photographer who showed me a
press pass with $40 on it, and one from the MTV people for an MTV Crew

     When the concert was over, I went on stage and looked out at RFK
stadium. I couldn't believe the view. A sea of people like I have never

     Despite all of the fun I had, the pizza, the music and the chance
to meet so many famous people, Spectaguard also paid me $53. When we
went to turn our security T-shirts in, many of my friends had not been
so lucky. They had been assigned to keep gate crashers out. They had had
beer bottles thrown at them, beer poured on them, etc..

     We recorded the concert on 3 video tapes off of MTV, and although I
see many of my friends on the tape, there is not one single picture of
me. I know as the stars were going up the stairs where I was, there were
a lot of photographers taking pictures of them as they walked past me.
If anyone knows of any pictures that were taken at the right entrance
stairs to the stage, please let me know. I would pay a lot of money for
copies of these photos that I am in. Thanks.

[Facing the stage, I was at the bottom of the stairs on the right entrance
behind the stage. I was wearing black pants and a yellow security T-shirt and
my hair is blondish-brown. I was 34 years old at the time.]

From: Roch Royer & Genevieve Hammond

Our memories of Live Aid were the best times in our lives.
Here is our story....

When we first heard about the concert on the radio we knew we HAD to go
no matter what! The radio station were organising a 6 bus trip down to
Philly (we live near Montreal) so we got our tickets and we were on our 
way to JFK stadium. We arrived there at around 8:30 AM and the buzz around 
the stadium was that John Paul Jones might be there and play Led Zeppelin 
songs with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, we had our fingers and toes 
crossed :)  We made a beeline to the entrance and finally made it in through 
the crowd in one piece. We climbed up the stairs not knowing where we 
would come out in the stadium and were awestruck at the size of the stage 
and the stadium slowly filling up with colored spots. Then Joan Baez comes 
on and says "Children of the 80's this is your Woodstock" the crowd went 
mad. we remember thinking how BIG this was going to be! There was always s
omething going on, after each band the big screen would broadcast live in 
London. By the time Black Sabbath came on the air was hot and humid, the 
band was sweating and we were dying of thurst. We spotted a drink stand 
which had Lemonaid in big letters, it took us about 30 minutes just to get 
to the stand, but by the time we got back to our seats we were thursty 
again! Later on Jack Nicholson came on and  said with his all too familiar 
voice "Ok kids, we're gonna hose you down now!" and out came the hoses 
spraying the crowd. We were soaked and releived. Then the most magical 
momment of the day was when Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones 
walked on stage, there was this great feeling in the air, it was sun down,
a zeppelin (blimp) was flying slowly over the stage piercing through the 
oncoming ballons making their  way up the clear colored sky. people were 
happy, crying and screaming. We recorded all 3 songs Led Zeppelin played 
and still get goose bumps when we listen to it. Band after band the night 
would set in and the feeling would grow, people hugging everywhere and 
new friendship made. Tina and Mick burned up the stage and practically stole 
the show. The closer song "We are the world" sort of wrapped it all up and 
made us realize that all 100,000 fans there had changed a little part of 
the world and saved many lives.
Thank you for having us share our fondest memories and this great site!!

From: Thomas Lawlor

     I had a friend who had an art for winning tickets over the radio. He
had one four tickets but we were only 15 years old and no other parents
would let their kids go to a show that long. The radio station provided a
bus ride to the stadium and back, that was it. They told us not to take
anything with us; coolers, chairs etc.. We went, two 15 year old kids, with
only the clothes on our back. Oh, and two extra tickets which we tried to
sell for way too much money and after getting laughed at for an hour we
finally sold them to some cool people for face value who were thankful and
kinda took us two minors under there wing. 

     The entire day at live aid was incredible from the opening act, which
was some undiscovered guitar player who they introduced as some guy they
had herd playing on the top of his R.V. in the parking lot which; which set
the tone for the improvisational feel to the rest of the day. 

     Ozzy played with Sabbath, Zep was together with Jayson Bohnam, Madonna
was there. The fire dept. came in and sprayed us down with water; I came
there with blue jeans on not thinking it would get that hot so I took off
my jeans and spent the day with my shirt tied around my waist, that water
was more than a luxury it was needed.

      When night came Phil Collins showed up fresh off the Concord(remember
when that was a big deal?). He played " IN the air tonight on piano", when
the drum solo came there were no drums; I can still remember being in the
middle of the field surrounded by tens of thousands of people singing the
drum solo as if the drums were there.

       I still have the ticket, it wasn't torn to enter so I've saved it
carefully. But the strange thing about this show is that it was a long and
well produced and covered show that featured amazing combinations of
musicians reuniting and whenever I mention it to friends now the reaction
is "oh, thats pretty cool, you were there, i watched a little of it on
T.V.". I feel the show has never gotten the credit it deserves.

From: Hans Nijntjes

I remember I had to work some hours at Saturday afternoon. At my work I
put the radio on, and worked very hard to finish it, to go home very
quick !

Me, my wife and and kids were living for a few weeks in a farm-house, a
few miles from our house, to take care for the house, so the owners
could go on holiday. Well, a nice time as I can remember.

The most impressive perfomance as U2 was Bono lifting a young girl from
the public, to dance with her.

From: Bruce Stuart

The Live Aid concert was probably the best televised concert I had ever
seen. I was sixteen and at an age where most teenagers my age starting
to really enjoy music and following there favourite singer. David Bowie
being mine I couldn't wait till he came on, video recorder on and every-
thing hooked up to the stereo. Here in New Zealand we had our own T.V.
personalities covering the concert and we had phone numbers so we could
donate money to Live Aid. David Bowie was announced and he came on
stage singing TVC-15,REBEL REBEL,MODERN LOVE and my all time favourite
If anyone saw that clip of David singing HEROES would remember the 
awesome power in that song,(well our house did, my stereo was on high)
the enjoyment from the crowd at Wembley was really beautiful.
I taped all four songs he sang and I still listen to them today, and
nearly everyday before I go to work or at a party. 
Live Aid made a lot of people around the world happy we all got together
where ever we were enjoyed the music from all the artist (not just
David) from England, USA and for a donation no matter how large or 
small we all got to see all our favourite singers in our homes.
I will never forget Live Aid '85

As the song goes "We can be Heroes just for one day."

From: Phil Dunn

I just found your site on the Live Aid concerts. Well done for putting
together such a great site.

Just thought you might like to read a few lyrics from a song I wrote a
year after the concert. I still sing the song now when I do the
occasional gig;-

"Just because you gave one day
doesn't mean the problem's gone away
It's been years and I'm still crying
I'm still here but they're still dying."

A little depressing perhaps but a reminder that we must continue to do
our part.

Lyrics taken from "Day of the Common Man" by Phil Dunn, Copyright

From: Aileen Angus

I remember Live Aid.   I wuz there.  I drove 550 miles from Scotland to be
there.   I heard about the proposed show on radio, while at work, and said
"I'm gonna be there!!!"

I tried to get tickets in Glasgow, but only 500 were issued there - no way
was I going to queue for hours not to get what I wanted.   I watched the
local press because I knew some John would do that for me!!  Exactly!  One
week later two ads were in the local rag with tix for sale - 2 and 2.  I was
going to get them - I did - 2 for 50 AND 2 for 90.  I bought them with a
little bit of travelling in between.    To this day I prefer to think that
they were the only tix for sale in Scotland - it makes the story better!!
Friends and workmates said "you're nuts".

Day came - drove to London - stayed with bored friends - went to Wembley -
beer, cameras, light entertainment in hand, and got in despite all
restrictions because even door security was feeling good that day.
Sun burning down -  go to South side - climb terraces - sit down drink
beverage - set up camera (if anyone wants previously unpublished follow this
e-mail line) - roll a little happiness!

Princess Di was just leaving - eat sandwiches - drink beer - feeling happy.

Lots of people feeling happy.

Talk to people - stonemason from Dorset rebuilding a cathedral.   He is a
biker with BIG heart and soul (didn't know bikers rebuilt cathedrals, didn't
know they cared so much about our heritage - learned a lot and shared our
beer and whisky).  Talked to a bunch of Germans next to us - they just had
to be here when they heard of Live Aid - perceptive people.  "There is
nothing like this at home" they said, "We wouldn't do something like this" -
think about it.

Found out of work reporter/photographer (loaned him our tripod)  looking to
make a few bucks and decided that today was one of those days worth getting
up for - hope he made his credibility, if not his fortune - wish I
remembered his name because he is probably up there now - come in whoever
you are!

Found a lot of thirsty people who had brought nothing with them because the
publicity said so.   How many spare cans of brew can four people carry with
them?   Apparently the miracle of the fishes and loaves survived that day
and no one went 'hungry'.    God gave everyone a big heart that day.

Times came and went .   We moved into the field near the stage coz you had
to be there.  Day came and went.   Evening fell upon us, but it was still
hot and humid.   They showered hoses on us.  Video screens came and went -
superb stage shows came and went. Then the CARS video and music came - and
74,000 shut up.  Total silence - no one raa-ed, no one coughed, not even a
fart was heard.   No one made a sound.   No one breathed - even breathed.
I had never experienced a revered silence from a mass until now.   It was
the ORIGINAL awesome - here's where it happened.

I cried and felt stupid.   Then I looked round, and EVERYONE was crying -
74,000 people in tears.   This was the total experience that will never be
there ever again  in our lifetime.

We were one.

From: David Gagliardi

I am a twenty-six year-old male living in Houston, Texas, U.S.A. and I just
stumbled upon your Live Aid site by accident.  I am a bit of what some
would call a "freak" about Live Aid.

I was fourteen at the time the whole event went down and I wish I would
have had the forsight to have witnessed either show in Philly or Wembley.

The U.S. music cable channel VH1 did a similar retrospective hommage to
Live Aid like the BBC probably did in the U.K.  Well, if you know anything
about the VH1 broadcast of the concert back in 1995, it was a complete
abomination compared to the original broadcast.  Not the least of which was
the decimation they did to the length of the concert and cutting out so
many important acts that I guess they did not deem fit to be re-broadcast.

From: Kerry Manning

One of the best days of my life, at Wembly Stadium.  I was there!  My
friends Andy, Lesley and Mark could never have imagined that we would be
part of history in the making.  Our seats were between the royal box and
the stage, we witnessed many stars, performing on stage and part of the
audience, enjoying the atmosphere.  Unless you were there you could never
imagine the buzz when Status Quo appeared on stage opening the proceedings
with Rocking all over the World.  I can remember the pure emotion of being
part of it all.  The tears in the eyes, the pure emotion of the whole
occasion.  And George Micheal saying "excuse me please" as he made a gap
through the queue for the ladies toilet.  Princess Diana groving! and
Prince Charles smiling at everyone who looked his way!

Don't forget Midge Ure who was just a big a part as Bob!

From: Samit Choudhuri

I was living in Jos, Nigeria (West Africa) and was almost 16.  I was a big
fan of England's rock/pop scene.  I just remember the anticipation of seeing
all my favorite bands playing at once.  I was also amazed that everyone was
uniting for this single, common cause.

Anyway, I caught as much of the show as I could on BBC and other shortwave
stations.  I was listening at almost every momeny of the day and keeping the
stragest hours.  Eventually, I got my tapes which a friend in England had
used to copy the entire UK (and some of the US) broadcast and watched it.
It was so absolutely amazing.

From: Vogers

I was happy to see your site comemerating the "COOLEST DAY ON EARTH" . I am a
huge Rock fan, and the only thing that was a bummer about LIVE AIDE was that
the eighties were Rock's low point. That didn't matter however , Every act was
a thrill . Even the ones I couldn't stand was great to see the whole
world brought together
through music. It was more amazing then WOODSTOCK,
due to the added benefit of and incredible trans atlantic technilogical
marvel.  The reunions were moving as was the cuase . Alot of differences were
left at the door for the day ...Just unbelievable.  I had a party that day
even though I lived only a half hour or so from Veterens stadium.
I intentionally didn't go to the show  becuase with the LIVE broadcasting all
day I wanted  to see LED ZEPPELIN up close  LIVE as it happened etc.  I
remember it was a great party NOBODY wanted to leave the TV long enough to get
burgers off the grill.  We must have burned 23 or 30 burgers  cuase we
couldn't miss anything. I had two tv's set up cause MTV were broadcasting and
so was local channle 29 they both took breaks at different times and we
switched back and fourth.
I remember thinking ...Phil Collins ...He plays a set IN ENGLAND for the whole
world then comes back and plays drums for ERIC CLAPTON   IN AMERICA  for the
whole world then does his set IN AMERICA- the one he did -IN ENGLAND and then
plays drums for a LED ZEPPELIN REUNION.....
so I thought ...imagine if a doorman or someone at his hotel that night said
"How was your day today sir?................

From: Carl Rodrigue

July 13th 1985 was the only time I watch TV all day long!  :)

At this time, I was 15.  Duran Duran was my favourite band (still is).
I watch all day long to see them only in the evening.  To appreciate as
I did, you have to remember, that on that special week, Duran was at the
top of the BillBoard with A VIEW TO A KILL.  They sang it and UNION OF
THE SNAKE too.  It was great!  Some years ago, I listened closely to the
background while the announcer was presenting David Bowie and I heard

I recorded the whole show on two videocassette and still look at it from
time to time...

From: TinkerbellMagic

That day was something incrediblie.  I was 15.  I got up at 6:oo a.m.
and glued myself to the television. I can remember my excitement so
vividly.  I was deeply touched and for the first time I felt connected
to the universe.  I will never forget that day.

From: Mark Hughes

Hi. Just found your site on Live Aid. Over the years since then I've always
been proud to say that I was there - at Wembley. I went with my then
girlfriend - we were both 35 at the time - and her son in his early teens.
We had a fourth ticket for his girlfriend who is now his wife, but she
didn't want to go and has regretted it ever since. I don't think anyone
realised at the time what an historic day it would be. We gave the spare
ticket to the sister of a work colleague of mine. The whole day was just
unbelievable but my overriding memories are 1. Queen (no need to say any
more), 2 The Who (and Pete Townsend falling flat on his back after trying
to kick his legs in the air), and 3 The teddy bear! I wonder how many
people remember that just before Paul McCartney came on there was a long
break, due to a technical hitch I believe, during which someone close to
the middle of the arena threw a teddy bear in the air and a few people
shouted "teddy". Slowly, as each time the teddy got thrown higher and
higher, more and more people joined in until eventually the whole stadium
seemed to be shouting "teddy". When the concert was ready to resume it
seemed as if everyone in the arena part of the stadium threw anything they
had in the air and shouted and cheered. It was just the most amazing day
and will always live in my memory as one of the best days of my life.

From: WindsorSS

Great web site commemorating a fantastic day for me too. Living in Scotland at
the time (now Atlanta) I didn't get the opportunity to get to Wembley, but I
vividly remember the whole concert as if it was yesterday. It was difficult to
go through that day and not be seriously "touched" wasn't it?
I guess my favorite piece was U2 playing "Bad"...or was it Queen cranking up
the audience....or was it George Michael doing such a great version of "Don't
let the sun.." ...or was it Geldof cursing on British TV for people to pick up
the ******* phones and pledge money for the cause... or was it the great show
by INXS.....

From: Fkwg66a

I was fortunate enough to attend the Philadelphia portion of Live Aid. My
first news of the show came at my job during the summer of my college years as
a deck-hand on a lobster fishing boat on Long Island Sound. 

The owner of the boat was a great guy who shared my avid interest in rock and
roll. We were listening as we did every afternoon to NY radio veteran Scott
Muni who read the press release outlining the show, and both thought the
billing was fantastic. Like many of my 'classic' rock friends, we actually
thought that the UK was getting the better bill, but ours was none to shabby
in the US. Keeping in mind that Bruce, the guy I worked for, was a guitarist
and attended Woodstock in 1969, I was lucky enough to secure tickets in the
narrow window of time they were available. We normally worked until 3:00 pm
and took an hour to reach the docks, but Bruce wanted to make sure I could
attend the show and hauled our last pots at 1:00 pm, raced to the docks, and
he then proceeded to throw me the keys to his truck and his credit card and
told me to have fun. 

I got 2 tickets, and went to the show with by brother Mike who was attending a
university in Philadelphia. We spent a sleepless night at the house of some
friends of his, and arrived at the show early only face the long lines to
enter. Security took it's time searching each person individually, and of
course they confiscated our cooler full of bottled water and Gatorade. When we
took out seats it was fun seeing the others who waited in line with me, hoping
there would be tickets left by whe reached the front of the cue. MAN, was it
HOT! No shade anywhere, and it was only 9:00 am. 

Being fans of quality music, I'll never forget the explative that my brother
shouted back at Joan Baez when she announced, "Children of the 80's, THIS is
your Woodstock." The crowd was not ready to rock quite so early in the
morning, but certain groups stick out in my mind 14 years later as lifting the
crowd further as the morning and afternoon progressed;

Crosby Stills and Nash - seemed to be the first act that people really were
enthusiastic about. People laughed at Ozzy Osbourne and Rick Springfield.

The Beach Boys - Yeah, most of us had seen them, and they had turned into more
of a novelty than a serious band by that point, but with it being a hot summer
day, the crowd started moving.

Bowie/Jagger - I think Philly thought it too pop from a couple of talented
artists. Bowie's linkup of "Heros" was tremendous.

Eric Clapton - one of the true highlights of the show. Captured the crowd with
"White Room"

Phil Collins - now people were staying in there seats. Could hear a pin drop
on "Roof is Leaking"

Zepplin - what can you say about your only chance to see this band? 

Hall and Oates - better received than I would of thought, but being Philly
natives never hurt.

Dylan/Richards - what a disappointment. I had always been a Stones fan, and
went though a lond Dylan phase in college. Too much time to imbibe before they
appeared. Where was Jerry Garcia?

US finale was too crowded and noisy, but the image of Pete Townsend and Paul
McCartney carrying Bob Geldof on their shoulders with stay with me forvever.
Here was two kings of rock royalty carrying a mere rock commoner.

Not enough water, bathroom were flooded, only thing left to drink my mid-day
was warm Cherry Coke, but a lifetime of memories and a great day to share with
my best friend, my brother. We ate burgers at a drive-in near the stadium
after the show, totally drained and worn out.

From: Michael Beirne

Just glancing  at your site today.
There's some good stuff. I have some cool stuff to share, also.

I was going to college in Philadelphia in 1985 and working security for the
firm which handled Live Aid at the old venerable (dump)  JFK Stadium. I
worked a total  of 80 hours at Live Aid, including guarding the trailors in
and around the stadium the week leading up to the concert. 

I also worked the stage and all around the venue come showtime. I see myself
in a yellow shirt in a lot of the photos of the show. Great show.

Why I'm writing is because I have some pretty cool stuff that I collected
from the trailors where the the organizers work. Included is the original
copy of the set-list for the day. It comes complete with adds and
subtractions, coffe stains and notes from the promoters. Would you be
interested in a copy? I can mail one to you.

Also, one of my jobs that day was to take the ticket stubs from JFK to the
Spectrum across the street. In my hand in trash can liners, at different
times, were about 20,000 ticket stubs. I actually thought about putting them
in my car which was parked right next to JFK. I didn't but I do have a
number of tickets, though, and an number of passes to the Hard Rock cafe
that day which I think might be worth something some day.

From: Chris Lowndes

It is obviously some time since this site of yours came about (on the 10th
anniversary of the event by the looks of things).

I hope people are still visiting it, as when I did it brought back a flood
of memories, both of the event itself and of the events surrounding it.

I was at City University in London and living out at Crouch End (about 5
miles north of the city centre). I was heavily into the live music scene at
the time and had been to many gigs over the early months of 1985 - including
Marillion, Dire Straits, U2, Roger Waters, Eric Clapton, Dave Lee Roth,
Queen, John Otway(?) and last but not least Bruce Springsteen and the E
Street Band on their Born in the USA tour on July 4th 1985 at Wembley
Stadium. Reading the revues of this gig in the papers the next day, there
was talk that Bruce had kindly donated the use of some of his staging to the
Live Aid cause - due to take place the following weekend.

Up to this point, the build up to Live Aid had been just hype in my eyes.
The papers had been full of conjecture about what might or might not happen.
But at this point I realised that there were only a couple of ways to show
my support for the underlying cause. I could either donate something on the
day or try anything to be there at the event.

Fortune came my way when a friend phoned on the Wednesday morning to say
there were some tickets going at his work - he worked for one of the PR
companies involved in the hype. I told him to get me one, and to phone me
back at home the following day. Thursday came and went and I didn't hear
anything, so when it was announced on Capital Radio (London's main
commercial station) that Keith Prowse booking agencies had released 500 more
tickets, I rushed round to the one in Crouch End and bought one then and
there for 25.00. I then spent the afternoon trying to contact my friend. He
phoned me at home that evening to say he could only buy one ticket - a fine

Because we were coming from different directions - we arranged to meet on
the 13th July at 09:45 - inside the turnstiles at gate C to Wembley Stadium.
I arrived at about 09:50 and the crowd on the steps was so huge it took me
35 minutes to get inside. I stood in the stairwell for another half an hour
looking down on the crowd but the was no sign of Tom, so I gave up.

I had bought a T shirt and two litres of OJ so headed for the pitch. The
crowd was huge - it was hot and sunny and a buzz of anticipation was in the
air. As I made my way down the left hand side of the pitch I was beneath the
royal box just as several celebrities appeared. This was noticed by the
crowd and an announcer (Tommy Vance I think) said that a fanfare would soon
be played to herald the arrival into the stadium of Charles and Di. The
crowd began to stand and surged towards the royal box. I took this
opportunity to dart in sideways heading for the centre front. Because people
were still facing to the left, it was easy to squeeze forward, and my two
litres of orange juice looked like a genuine reason to be returning to my
place at the front (NOT!). As I reached the second row the band came on
stage to play the fanfare and the national anthem. It was 11:50. I settled
into a position dead centre of the second row (it later turned out to be a
good choice as the folks against the scaffold in the front row kept getting
mangled during crowd surges.

As Tommy Vance's voice came back on the PA, there was an almighty crowd
surge and I found myself helping a girl off the floor. When I looked up at
the stage there was Francis Rossi staring out in awe at the crowd - he
shouted 'Hello World' or something like that and Rick struck the first chord
of Rockin' All Over the World. This was it.

I had a Canon SLR camera with me (stuffed down the lining of my jacket)
including three spare films. Throughout the day I took photos of most of the
acts, and these have served to complement my memories of the day. The press
photographers were just in front of us on a sub platform beneath the stage
front. For the first hour or so they were the target of hurled abuse and
drink cartons as they kept masking the acts on stage. After a while they got
the message. At one stage, I gave my camera up to one of them to take a
closer shot of Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd), who was playing rhythm guitar for
Bryan Ferry and his band. Those are the best shots I have, apart from one
blurred shot looking back through the sea of hands during Queen's Radio

Here are a few random memories from me:
Only being able to see Howard Jones' spikey hair sitting at the piano at the
back of the revolving stage.
The number of Irish tricolours in the crowd showing support for U2.
Sade's top
Simple Mind's by satellite from JFK singing "Don't You . . . ." with the
entire crowd at Wembley singing along.
Bono almost falling head first into the mud as he climbed down to dance with
the girl in the crowd (about 20 yards to my left) and the two girls who had
been plucked out but were overlooked as he got down, they have since
appeared on the BBC anniversary documentary.
The Who - best act of the day in my book - as agreed by everyone around me -
with "Won't get fooled again" and the Hammond organ.
U2, Queen, the Who, David Bowie (and those two delicious backing singers)
were all excellent
The amount of liquid everyone drank without having to go for a pee
Buckets, hoses, coke cups being shared amongst hundreds
The teddy bear being thrown about during the final interlude before the
When Paul McCartney's mike didn't work at the start of Let It Be, we were
close enough to be able to hear his voice anyway, before the whole crowd
joined in
Recognising a few hangers-on on stage for Do They Know It's Christmas (Fish,
Hazel O'Connor, Mike Oldfield (I think?), Nik Kershaw)
After the finale, Harvey Goldsmith stayed on stage to wish everyone a safe
journey and ask them to leave quietly, the guy I'd been standing behind all
day (an American with a Shimano baseball cap) shouted "Is That It?" to which
Harvey just shrugged his shoulders and laughed - this incident is related in
Bob Geldof's Autobiography - and formed the title.

The atmosphere was amazing - I made many friends. The girl who had slipped
right back at the start said her name was Michelle and she came from
Wimbledon in South London. I scribbled her number on my arm and she wrote
mine in lipstick on her programme - I've never spoken to her since as the
number had rubbed off my arm by the time I got to the station. About five
minutes after everyone began to leave, I bumped into my friend Tom. He had
been standing about 25 yards to my right all day. We decided to make our way
back to my parents' house and were back in time to see everything from Power
Station onwards from JFK. In the Sunday Times the next day was an article
about the Wembley concert headed by a photo looking back over the crowd from
front of stage - I am there dead centre as I was the tallest at the front.
Additionally, my face appears during the BBC footage of Bryan Ferry doing
'Jealous Guy' and in the centre spread of the official commemorative book -
where Bono is leading the crowd in a refrain during 'Bad'.

From: Steve Manning

I was living in Allentown, PA. Being only an hour from JFK Stadium, I 
couldn't miss this event. I was 21 years old. My friend Jeff Torok & I left 
from our house in Bath, PA Friday afternoon. We arrived in Philadelphia an 
hour later, entering through town on Broad St. coming to the Sports Arena 
area in South Philly, we found parking on Pattisson Ave. directly across from 
the parking lot at JFK. Before we got into the lot we were called over to a 
car on Pattisson Ave. They wanted to know if we wanted mushrooms. We only had 
$10 between us. They saw we had a case of Michelob. They traded us the $10 
and a six-pack of beer for a quarter ounce of mushrooms. We ate em right 
away! Then we went into the parking lot. A lot of different licenses plates 
were there. From Cali to Maine. We hooked up with some people from New 
Hampshire. I ended up sleeping with my head on their watermelon for a few. 
Played some Frisbee.

On Saturday, we were just hanging around selling cans of soda for a dollar. 
We saw a limo take some people to the front gate, and come back near where we 
were at. Got to talkin to the limo driver. Offered him a few sodas. Then he 
gave us a ride through the gates. We didn't even have tickets! Everybody 
thought we were somebody (we both had long hair, and looked like we were in 
bands. In fact I was at the time.) What luck!

Saw the show from backstage.
That night after the show, there were many parties outside the stadium. The 
one we found was at the end of a dead end street. Someone had opened up a 
fire hydrant. (It had to be at least 100 degrees that day!)
I'll never forget those two days! Seems like it was yesterday!

From: ABam

I was 16 years old and i begged my mum and dad to let me and my sister go to 
the concert.  Thankfully they agreed.

It was one of the best days of my childhood...probably my life.

My sister and I had so much fun.  We met tons of new friends.  The atmosphere 
was electric.  It was a very hot day and there were alot of people fainting 
through excitement and overheating.  The highlight of the day for me was 
George Michael and Elton John dueting... But i must say that Queen stole the 
whole show.

What a day...My memories are still clear even now (aged 30) and I will be 
passing these memories down to my son when he's old enough to understand. 

From: Russ

July 13, 1985; A day that will live in my thoughts. I was stationed in
England for three years with the ultimate goal to see every performer and
band live that I could. When I heard about the Live Aid show and the line
up, there was no stopping my friends and I. We went to Wembley and scalped
our tickets (the usual way) and found our way close to the front. The four
of us had a pretty good spot left of the high rise sound/light operator's
stage. It was very hot English day, so after a while in the sun there were
shirtless women, too cool. We did not bring our own drink or food, so we had
to buy the boxed drinks from the pirate vendors.  After a quenching drink a
large white cloth sign held up by two poles blocked our view of the stage.
Like those around us we were upset and yelled at the owners to take it down.
They were holding their ground. So searching our pockets we found some 2 and
10 pence coins, so airborne they went. We were still unsuccessful. Shortly
after that someone threw a half drank cup of coke or something that put a
big stain on the material, victory was ours. The rest of the day we were on
our feet during the show and sitting down (passed out at times) at
intermission. I vaguely remember Spandau Ballet. To name my most memorable
performers would be to name nearly 90% of all we saw, but there were some
that will stand the test of time. Queen was phenomenal! The stage
performance of Freddy Mercury was awesome. At first I perceived him as a gay
french rat, bad label I know, but after a while I did not see that anymore.
Radio Gaga blew me away! The music of Queen is great, seeing them perform is
even greater. The U2 segment was another milestone. The montage song of Lou
Reed/U2 was too cool.  Bryan Ferry is the ultimate in too smooth, move over
James Bond. Did anyone notice that David Gilmour was playing guitar? If not,
I have a picture to prove it. Sade is the female counter to Bryan Ferry,
need I say more? The set by The Who was unforgettable. When Pete and Roger
fell down I can't help to think it was staged. The Who are definitely in
touch with higher beings. Shortly after the song "Love reign 'Oer Me" guess
what, that's right a small sprinkle of rain came down. It was well needed
after the hot day. The set with Paul McCartney was one of a kind. When his
microphone went out there were countess boos from the crowd. Looking at his
face during "Hey Jude" he looked really confused, "Why in the bloody hell
are they booing me - Paul McCartney, a legend among legends singing a
Beatles song?"  The following set with Freddy Mercury and Brian May was too
funny down in the crowd. Up until this point there were no signs of trash or
other objects being thrown. That was until, we the small bunch of Americans,
picked up some lager bottles and proceeded to keep the English tradition
going. Needless to say everything I saw on the ground was at one point or
another in the air. Reading the memories of, I do remember the
brown teddy.  It was like a crowd mascot that one just did not hold onto. I
do not what happened to it in the end, but it should be in the Live Aid
shrine. There were other feeble attempts to have other objects (a white bra)
thrown and cheered on, but none matched the bear.  Well the show was over
and making our way to and through the tubes was a damn nightmare. We finally
made it back to Kings Cross were we inhaled Kentucky Fried Chicken and
quarts of coke. We were worn out, sunburned, thirsty, hungry, tired,
hungover, and still reeling in the new experience of our lives, the rest did
not matter. To this day when I play my bootleg tapes of the show, it will be
remembered as a day that will live on for many a years.

Back to main Live Aid page